Tuesday, July 4, 2017

Upcycled Fourth: Red, White, and a Little Blue


Cannibalizing two shirts for the greater good

Two thrift store men's shirts, each sporting a red and white stripe pattern, are combined together to create one new upcycled shirt. And here's how:

The how-to

Some detail shots:

Detail, top of shirt

Detail, inset pocket (hand-stitched)

Detail: patches covering old shirt logos

Detail: Cuffs reattached at elbow height

And a bonus for the Fourth of July: Since the shirt sports red and white stripes, I decided to add a pin to round out the ensemble for the holiday. The pin is fashioned from an old tin can lid (for more how-to info on tin can pins see Tin Can Frames Tutorial, or enter "tin can pins" in the search window of this blog and see a whole range of past tin can pins).


And yes, the sentiment is both political and emotional.

3 comments:

  1. LOVE this idea! I've loved some other refashions needing three shirts...but have struggled to find 3 coordinating patterns. Two patterns...I've got!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE this! I've seen other refashions that use three patterns/patterns. I've yest to find three I like. But two...I've got! Looking forward to making one of my own! And the BLUE pin...clever on all levels and sentiments!

    ReplyDelete
  3. So happy I found this. I have been given 6 men's linen shirts that don't fit. Now I have a way to combine them for a fun & comfortable summer shirts! Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails